Contract: Somerset House (East Wing), The Strand, London
Contractor: Wates Construction Ltd
Client: Kings College, London
Somerset House is a large Neoclassical building situated on the south side of the Strand in central London, overlooking the River Thames.
The building, originally the site of a Tudor palace, was designed by Sir William Chambers in 1776, the East Wing forms part of the adjacent King's College London. Wates Construction started works at Somerset House in September 2010. The project involved the refurbishment and reconstruction of the East Wing of the Grade 1 listed building which was to be used primarily for education purposes.
Anglewest Ltd secured the main works in October 2010 and commenced with the main external facade scaffolds to the East, North & West elevations this culminated in the installation of an Ubix temporary roof over the whole building. In addition, bridged access across the roof structure was provided to give access for repairs to the chimney stacks. The internal scaffolds were primarily erected for the roof lights, new stairs and lift shaft installation. The works were finally completed in January 2012.